Wednesday, October 24, 2012

~* Amal *~

Dear Femmes & Everyone tuning in,

This is a piece I am dedicating to my little sister, on this day October 24th, 2012... Her birthday. It is my first personal post about something that makes me very vulnerable.
I hope it touches you as she has me...
Happy Birthday Baby Girl... you always have been and always will be so much more <3 <3
Love,
Aliya Valentine
Les Femmes


Amal
It was the last day I saw her, that young girl of 10. She was strong, sweet and the cutest little girl you can imagine. With her big brown eyes, her adorable bratty little smile, and typical little sister ways. It was the last day I would see her…on the other side of my grandma’s bed, no time for one last hug. He was hanging up with his friend, it was now or never. Change of plans, time to go now, not this afternoon, not this evening…NOW. I looked at that face I loved and cherished so much one last time, told her I loved her and to remember what we talked about then bolted out the door with my belongings wrapped in a bed sheet.  I left her with trinkets of mine I knew she yearned for as my baby sis; my cd player and very prized Fairy locket with a picture of mom. “No, I can’t, it’s yours, it’s your favorite thing” she said. “Ok, you know how much I love this locket?” She nods yes, “Then know that I love you so much more. Don’t listen to all the horrible things they’ll tell you about me… I love you” I said.
That was the last day I saw her, my baby sis, my world, August 2006. Today she's a young woman of 17. I missed the best years of being a big sister to this precious little gem of mine. The little girl who refused to fall asleep when my mom sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, because she wanted me, her big sis, to sing her a Blink 182 song.  That little girl isn’t so little anymore. Our sisterhood was the price we paid for me to live in freedom.  Everyday the thought of that little girl whose very name in Arabic translates to Hope, is my constant reminder to keep fighting, keep pushing, keep trying to be an example of standing up for what you believe in, but SHE is my example to never give up…Hope .







No comments:

Post a Comment